Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Weekend Wandering: Cherry Blossom Festival

Me and the BFF had an awesome weekend. This weekend was the first weekend of the National Cherry Blossom Festival (I am sure you know this if you read any DC blogs because everyone and there mother checked it out this weekend!)



But let's back up a bit. Friday night after work we met up to go to Happy Hour at McFadden's with some people from work. Small problem... the dork from work who was planning the whole happy hour experience forgot his ID and couldn't get into the bar. My BFF and I were already there and having fun so we stayed and laughed at them for not being able to get in. We didn't stay long though. But we went to Tortilla Coast (which is right on the Hill and one of my favorite places!) I have also become a sort of regular here at T-Coast and we stayed and watched some March Madness and later were joined by a dear friend and co-worker (who also doesn't drink- which means the bartender did not really like us...). Then the BFF, my co-worker, and I went back to my place and started to watch Dan in Real Life. (Great Movie!!)

Saturday morning the BFF and I woke up late. (Hey, we were both tired and needed a few hours of extra zzz's.) We made the most delicious crepes filled with ricotta cheese, cream cheese and cinnamon. Mmmmm. Then we got ready and went down to the Mall to check out the Kites and the Cherry Blossoms... well so did everyone else! It was crazy. One great perk about my job is that we get to park on the Ellipse and I totally got to park right on the Mall. We walked around (with a million other people) and checked out all the kites and then over to the Tidal Basin to check out the cherry blossoms.

***side note: people are like a fungus to this earth and this weekend totally showed that. People were everywhere - walking on the grass, in the middle of the roads, everywhere. It really is disgusting.

Then we came home and watched Kite Runner aka the best movie ever. I love it. And how appropriate to watch it after the National Kite Festival on the Mall. It was amazing. The movie truly highlights how beautiful Afghanistan was and how much the people there have had to deal with over the years. Another thing that I took from this movie is that you cannot judge a book by its cover. (Just watch the movie!!)

Then we went to Panache, which is a cute and funky restaurant/bar just south of Dupont, for a friend's birthday. It was so darn fun. I wish that I wasn't tired/sick and could have stayed later.



Anyhow, I slept in Sunday morning and missed church. And then got ready to go wait in line for tickets for the Opening Day Game at the new Nationals Park. I got there around 2-2:30 and the line was already around the corner! About 20 mins into it a man comes up to me and tries to sell me his place in line for $20! Soooo... I took it. He was about 100 people in and I was like 400th in line. Good buy! Anyhow, I got two tickets and the BFF and I went in the stadium around like 4pm for a game that didnt start until 8pm!



Anyhow, we had out cheap $5 seats way up in the Grand Stands but we went down towards the field and watched all the hot baseball players warm up. Mmmmm. But no one ever kicked us out of our seats on the field so we stayed there. First row. Next to the ball girl! It was awesome. We got to see the President throw out the first pitch and we got on the world's largest jumbo tron. It was an amazing night!!

(picture from ap via beltway confidential)

0 comments: