Monday, September 29, 2008

My Life Through Coffee


image via fffound


It's pretty frickin' cold in my office today. And I am craving coffee for the first time in a long time. I rarely drink coffee and I know its not good for me either.

But... I want to share some coffee stories with you.

First...


My First Political Dinner:

I love reading ettiquette books and when I first started in politics I found them to be really helpful. I am from a small town in Arizona where we never had formal dinners or events growing up. I loved reading books on ettiquette because I loved reading about black tie dinners and old fashion chilvery. For me it was like reading a fabulous novel about a land far away.

I remember reading that when your dinner host offers you coffee you know it is time to leave. Being only 18 at the time I thought this was a great way to measure your departure and I was really excited to use it.

It was Easter Sunday during my freshman year of college and my state representative, (who was also LDS and female) offered to have my join her family at church and for Easter dinner. I was exstactic to say the least. I sad proudly with her family in the pew at church like I was with a celebrity and after church I followed her family to their beautiful home.

We had a wonderful dinner and it was nice to be with someone's family during the holiday. After dinner we sat around and I listened to hear amazing stories about being a public servant, a mother, a wife, a woman and a member of the church.

But the time started to elapse faster and faster and soon it was getting dark. I felt that it was time to leave but I waited a little longer. Then I started to get anxious. I really needed to go but I didnt want to leave before they offered me coffee. So I waited.

Then her husband took hold of the conversation and said that it was great having me over but that I should probably head out now. I was humiliated. I had overstayed my welcome. I left and called my mother the second I got into my car.

"But mom, I waited for them to offer me coffee and they never did. I never knew when the right time to leave was!"

My mom laughed, "Well, aren't they Mormon too? They don't drink coffee, babe."

I was humiliated.




My New Travel Mug:

I once became great friends with a lovely little guy who worked at Starbucks my sophomore year of college. He was awesome. One day my friends and I went into Starbucks to visit him and he surprised us with a little treat. He bought us all (the coolest) travel mugs.

See below:





It was awesome! It was white and black. It had a clip. It was the world's greatest coffee mug.

And as we were all chatting about how awesome the gift was my friend, The Beav, said...

"Haha. How lame!? You could be an idiot and clip this on your belt!"

the Beav and I were standing back to back at this time and at the exact same time, in a different conversation I threw my hands up in the air and yelled...

"Look! You can clip this on your belt!!"

Well said, Beav. Only an idiot!

Anyhow, I loved that darn mug so much that I started drnking coffee just because of it. I think it was in Decemember and we had finals so drinking coffee made sense to me.

I would fill that mug up, drink it, and fill it up again.

All day long.

Then my stomach started to queasy...

I asked a friend about it.

"Coffee is a natural laxative."

Point taken.

1 comments:

leslie said...

hahah that mormon coffee story is hilarious!! hm, this is making me want to go to tryst...