Monday, August 3, 2009

To Do: Read Generation Kill


Read the book. 

Its a fun read. Kinda dark, but that's the content of war I guess.

It gives such a great insight into the war, the people and the troops. I think it is something that we all need to understand.

Best part is the new afterward, last page:

"Five years into this war, I am not always confident most Americans fully appreciate the caliber of the people fighting for them, the sacrifices they have made, and the sacrifices they continue to make. After the Vietnam War ended, the onus of shame largely fell on the veterans. This time around, if shame is to be had when the Iraq conflict ends- and all indications are there will be plenty of it- the veterans are the last people in America to deserve it. When it comes to apportioning shame my vote goes to the American people who sent them to war in a surge of emotion but quickly lost the will to either win it or end it. The tong troops I profiled in Generation Jill, as well as the other men and women in uniform I've encountered in combat zones throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, see among the finest people of their generation. We misuse them at our own peril."

Sorry that may offend some, but I love our country and I love our troops. I work with them a lot and I am always weary of their futures and that we will always be there to support them after they gave so much for us.


Please read the book. I loved it. Look how many pages I dog-earred. 

1 comments:

Steve said...

I don't think most people are "anti-troops", but a lot of people (even early on, I was at the first few anti-war protests in 01 and 02) knew WAR wasn't going to solve this problem. The fact that 8 years later and we are still there proves this. The military has some amazing people that can do amazing things, it's too bad we assumed that they were equiped and trained to fight this kind of war. The real blame is Bush and Congress at the time for thinking a 20th century solution could solve a 21st century problem. Luckily, most of these neo-cons have been run out of Dodge.